The Crafts Council is the national development agency for contemporary craft.
• To make the UK the best place to make, see, collect and learn about contemporary craft
• To build a strong economy and infrastructure for contemporary craft
• To increase and diversify the audience for contemporary craft
• To champion high quality contemporary craft practice nationally and internationally
• We believe that craft plays a dynamic and vigorous role in the UK’s social, economic and cultural life.
• We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to make, see, collect and learn about craft.
• We believe that the strength of craft lies in its use of traditional and contemporary techniques, ideas and materials to make extraordinary new work.
• We believe that the future of craft lies in nurturing talent; children and young people must be able to learn about craft at school and have access to excellent teaching throughout their education.
Crafts Council / Craft MattersDownload (630KB Pdf File)
The Crafts Council delivers its activity through four strategic themes.
We stimulate and profile creative excellence, innovative thinking and practice across all craft forms.
We change people’s perceptions of craft by showing the best of contemporary craft in different physical and conceptual contexts.
We support the growth of a robust craft sector in a global marketplace.
We promote craft education and skills progression for the economic and cultural health of the sector.