The Crafts Council is a vibrant organisation dedicated to promoting crafts in the 21st century. And we're a London Living Wage employer. Come work with us!
Collect Fair Director
Collect Fair Director
Location: Central London
Reports to: Finance and Commercial Director - Crafts Council; will also work closely with the Crafts Council’s Creative Director and the rest of the SMT
Responsible for: Fair Operations Director, Collect Co-ordinator and team of freelancers
Remuneration: £50,000 - £60,000 pro rata depending on experience, plus bonus based on Fair performance.
Basis: There is flexibility as to whether this is a freelance or employee role. However, employment is preferred. Similarly there is flexibility as to working days and other commitments. This will required a minimum 0.5 (or 120 days a year) up to full time dependent on candidate and agreed project plan.
Collect is the International Art Fair for Contemporary Objects, presented by the Crafts Council annually at London’s Saatchi Gallery. Collect’s 14th edition is happening in 21 to 25 February 2018. Collect will return for its 15th edition in 2019, with an inspiring new Fair Director to help us continue its ascent.
The fair presents an unrivalled opportunity to see and buy exquisite works by artists and makers represented by British and international galleries.
Collect profiles the exceptional skill and intellectual rigour behind contemporary craft, featuring works in ceramics, glass, metal, wood and textiles alongside makers working in non-traditional materials or experimental techniques. Alongside the galleries visitors, can also experience Collect Open, the platform for risk taking new work, feature exhibitions and a comprehensive programme of talks and events. Collect runs for five days and sees footfall of around 14,000 people.
About the role:
The Crafts Council is seeking a Fair Director to steer and oversee the creative vision and commercial success of Collect. It is an exciting opportunity to grow and develop the fair. This means building on its existing success and exploring the potential for future development in both creative scope and commercial viability. The Fair Director will have strong leadership and relationship building skills with a well - established network of contacts within the industry. They will demonstrate previous success in managing and delivering a similar event, with evidence of both creative and commercial growth.
To enhance Collect’s creative strategy and deliver a financially sustainable fair.
- Scope and steer the overall vision for Collect in line with the key values and objectives of the fair and the organisation as a whole.
- Full P&L responsibility for the agreed bottom line performance of the fair, with full support from the Finance team.
- Working closely with the Crafts Council Creative Director and Fair Operations Director develop and steer the creative direction of Collect, including any additional fair content such as exhibitions or feature areas.
- Work with the Crafts Council Commercial Director to improve the commercial viability of the fair and exploit possible new revenue streams.
- Develop relationships with new galleries as potential exhibitors for the fair.
- Working alongside the Crafts Council Development Director, cultivate potential sponsors for Collect, including both existing relationships and by creating new contacts.
- Deliver a year-round programme of activities to ensure cultivation and stewardship of collectors and galleries with the goal of increasing participation from both at Collect.
- Manage all VIP invitation and engagement activities – on and off-site – in the build up to and during Collect.
- Using both existing relationships and new contacts, expand and develop the buying audience for the fair to maximise sales of work for exhibitors.
- Act as a spokesperson for the fair, supporting the Comms and PR teams as required.
- Lead the Collect team of employees and freelancers.
- A passionate individual with great communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commercially driven and results orientated individual.
- Experience of working on a high end art fair or similar event in a managerial role.
- A strong network of existing contacts and relationships within the industry.
- Experience of growing and developing an established brand in a similar market.
- Experience of cultivating and securing sponsorship for a large-scale event or project.
- Experience of scoping and delivering creative projects.
Please submit a two page CV and a similar length letter explaining how this role excites you, and the skills and experience you could bring to it. On our website in the vacancies section you can find a market report giving further information on Collect.
The CV and letter should be sent to by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Crafts Council is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to improving the diversity of our workforce. We actively encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
Closing date 19 March 2018