We are inviting submissions for the third edition Real to Reel: The Craft Film Festival, which will be screened at our partners’ Picturehouse Central London on 8th, 9th and 10th May 2018.
We are interested in all genres: documentaries, story-led films, animation and more. Whether celebrating the skills involved in prop making, following the sometimes surreal journeys of individual makers, or exploring ways making brings people together, Real to Reel 2018 will bring the best of contemporary craft film to the silver screen.
Building on the success of previous editions, Crafts Council will explore opportunities for national and international touring beyond the London screening, in partnership with Picturehouse Central and the British Council.
The Crafts Council is committed to promoting and celebrating diversity. We particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in contemporary craft, including disabled applicants and applicants from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds.
We’re introducing a tiered submission fee to help support the production and promotion of the festival, with the aim to continue increasing diverse audience-engagement with craft and moving image.
How to Apply
To apply you will have to create a Crafts Council account and apply via the dashboard
Rules and terms
The submission fees for up to three films are:
Early Bird rate | 2nd – 31st October 2017 | £10
Standard rate | 1st Nov – 31st Dec 2017 | £25
Last minute rate | 1st – 15th January 2018 | £40
Discount codes are available for the following applicants:
- 50% discount: for students currently in Higher Education Institutes and Crafts Council Directory Makers.
- £5 flat fee: for young people (under 18yo).
Please contact Sarah Turner to obtain your code - email@example.com.
Crafts Council directory makers should contact Sarah Cullen - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We accept feature films (over 30 minutes) and short films (under 30 minutes)
- Films must have been made after 1st January 2015.
- If your film's original language is not English, it will only be accepted if submitted with English subtitles.
- Your film must be your own work, and you should have obtained copyright or relevant permissions for all images and films used in your piece.
- Filmmakers of productions selected for screening will be notified by Monday 12th February 2018 and will be required to submit a ProRes file on an NTFS-formatted USB or hard drive by Monday 19th February.[see technical notes for further information on file formats and general advice].
- In case of selection, the copyright holder automatically authorizes The Crafts Council to screen the film during the London Festival and for additional screenings in the UK and internationally to take place before May 2019 free of charge and to use publicity material about the author(s) and/or the film, as well as a clip of the production for promotional purposes through press and the internet. The clip may also be included on the Crafts Council website.
- Selected filmmakers will receive one complimentary ticket for one evening of the Festival programme at Picturehouse Central in May 2018.
The final deadline is 5pm, 15th January 2018. If you have any questions about your submission please contact Sarah on email@example.com.