Crafts Council courses, events, talks and workshops for makers
Are you looking for support to develop your creative business?
The Crafts Council has been supporting makers for over four decades and wants to support you too. Our new programme is a bespoke offer of day-long or half-day learning opportunities throughout the country by the programme managers behind our acclaimed Hothouse and Injection CPD programmes.
Our courses, events, talks and workshops strike a balance between information-led and practical training, always in a friendly, open atmosphere that encourages discussion and informal networking. Join us at these accessible, affordable events as we open up our unique industry knowledge and contact-base to every maker, for every stage of your craft business.
What topics does the programme cover?
- Classes cover a wide range of topics including:
- Application writing & presentation skills
- Business visioning
- Finances for craft businesses
- Fundraising skills
- International practice
- IP & copyright (incl. employment law)
- Product photography
- Reaching your market (incl. social media)
- Relationship management with galleries and commissioners
- Working with manufacturers
Who contributes to the courses, events, talks and workshops?
Leading practitioners, specialists and experts in the craft sector contribute to our courses as speakers, and you’ll always hear first-hand from makers with personal experience of the course subject. As well as a Crafts Council Talent Development Manager, our classes always feature at least two specialist contributors and include a Q&A session.
Previous speakers include;
- Yvonna Demczynska from Flow Gallery, for developing relationships with International galleries and commissioners workshop.
- Mike Josypenko the Director of Special Projects at the Institute of Export, for Logistics of working Internationally workshop.
- Martina Margetts as a leading international specialist in craft from the Royal College of Art, at the ‘Commissioning workshop’
- Mark Burrows of Heatherwick Studio, at the Business visioning workshop for emerging makers
- Mark Miodownik the Director of Institute of Making, at the ‘Becoming a Confident employer’ workshop
Why should I attend?
Here are a few of the many good reasons to attend our professional development training:
- Specialist speakers
- Local & affordable training
- Crafts Council’s unique CPD knowledge-pool
- Networking opportunities
- Up-to-date industry expertise
- The beginning of your relationship with the national development agency for craft
What makers say about our courses, events, talks and workshops:
“Many thanks for organising a very interesting and enlightening day. The line up of speakers was excellent, with lots of practical advice and suggestions, much of which was new to me.” - Hilary Mayo
“a great day, learned a lot.” - Walter Bailey
“Thanks for an informative day yesterday there was really good selection of speakers and I came away with lot of new knowledge!” - Rebecca Hoyes
“Thank you for organising such a wonderfully informative workshop on Monday, I really enjoyed it.” - Donna Brennan
How much will it cost?
The programme is set up to be cost-effective and take place in different regions around the country so that all UK makers have the best chance at accessing these opportunities without extensive travel.
Usually half-day classes cost £25 and full-day classes cost £45.
Directory members are offered a discounts of 10%.
Book your ticket
Published events are listed below, and there will be even more in store as more of the programmes is published! Sign up to our newsletter and keep checking this page to stay up to date with news and notifications about our professional development programmes.
Key to Success: What makes a great application and presentation
Developing relationships with galleries and commissioners - London
Introduction to Working Internationally - Leicester
Attenborough Arts Centre
Developing a presence for an International Market - Bristol