Research reports commisioned by the Crafts Council
Measuring the Craft Economy - Defining and measuring craft: report 3
Measuring the Craft Economy gives the fullest picture to date of the value and scale of craft’s contribution to the UK economy.
The findings in this report build on proposals set out in the Crafts Council’s 2013 series of reports Defining and measuring craft: Definitions 1998 – 2012 (June 2013) and Defining and measuring craft: Proposals for a way forward (June 2013). This report measures the contribution of craft not only within craft industries, but also across the creative industries and wider economy.
The craft economy generates nearly £3.4bn for the UK economy, accounting for 0.3% of UK GVA (gross value added).
The Studying Craft series of reports is research commissioned by the Crafts Council and is a comprehensive examination of contemporary craft education in England. The latest update was produced in November 2014 (Studying Craft 2) and is available below.
The research examined all stages of formal education and training from Key Stage 4 to postgraduate study to look at provision and participation in craft courses for the last five academic years.
- Studying Craft 2: update on trends in craft education and training
- Data workbook 2
- Executive Summary of report 1
- Full Report 1
- Data Workbook 1
Read the Studying Craft press release
All Research Reports
- Making It Local: what does this mean in the context of contemporary craft? May 2014
- Defining and measuring craft: Definitions 1998 – 2012 - June 2013
- Defining and measuring craft: Proposals for a way forward - June 2013
- How Makers and Craft Organisations are Using Social Media - Oct 2012
- Craft & Enterprise - March 2012
- From Cell to System – Making Innovation Work - March 2012
- Craft in an Age of Change - February 2012
- Education Literature Review - Dec 2011
- Craft and Higher Education - Dec 2011
- Crafting Capital: New technologies, new economies - Nov 2011
- Craft and Rural Development - June 2011
- Craft & the Digital World - May 2011
- Craft and Wellbeing – March 2011
- Craft & Environmental Sustainability - Nov 2010
- Consuming Craft - June 2010
- Making Value - June 2010
- Crafting Futures - June 2010