Are you looking for to explore ideas for your creative business? Have you found yourself at a crossroads with your practice? Do you need a spark of inspiration or an action plan to take your work forward?
To book your place on our popular 1-hour advice sessions with a 30-minute follow up call, please see below for further information.
WHERE: Crafts Council | The Stables | Rear of 44a Pentonville Road | Angel | London N1 9HF
DATE: Friday 17th January 2020
BOOK NOW via Eventbrite: £60*
*Discounts are available. Please email for relevant booking codes: 10% off for Crafts Council Directory members OR if you have booked a session within the last 6 months you are entitled to a repeat booker cost of £45
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND?
• You will receive a bespoke advisory hour-long session with experienced art and business development advisor.
• Tailored for you and fully confidential, this session will enable you to talk about your ideas or concerns about your creative practice.
• You will go away with a set of action points to implement in your practice.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
• You book a one-hour session with the advisor on the day and time indicated using our Eventbrite page.
• You supply the advisor with information in advance (requirements indicated below)
• The advisor will prepare for your session in advance by looking through details about your practice that you have provided and any particular issues you have raised in advance.
• At the end of the session, you will be allocated a follow-up, this takes place over the phone or via Skype and arranged at the time of your advice session.
DID YOU KNOW?
Although we encourage you to meet face to face with our Talent Development Manager, we know that it is not always possible to travel. Therefore, we also offer this session via Skype. If you would prefer Skype, proceed with the following:
• Book your ticket via Eventbrite
• Send the Talent Development Manager your Skype details along with your CV, statement and answers to the 5 required questions
• The Talent Development Manager will contact you via Skype at the time of your session, please make sure you are ready and logged in to your Skype account and have previously tested your Skype account.
WHO IS ADVISING?
Talent Development Manager, Caroline Jackman, has over 20 years’ experience in working in the arts and working to support the business and creative development of artists and makers from amateurs to established professionals. Crafts Council is the national organisation for craft and offers key advice to support artists, makers, and designers in their business development.
WHAT IS ON OFFER?
• We will provide you with a mid-term action and short-term action plan to enable you to progress with your practice.
• We will assist you to break down those barriers that are blocking your business progression.
• We can signpost you towards the key networks you need that will transport you to the next steps of your practice.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
• A device with an accessible series/portfolio of images of your work (please do not rely on an internet connection) and/or a quality printed piece of marketing material showcasing your work (e.g. printed postcard, catalogue, brochure).
• A sample of your work, this should be an object that you do not mind being handled and is easily transportable. Please note, if your make large scale work, perhaps consider bringing a sample of the material you use in your practice.
WHAT SHOULD I PREPARE IN ADVANCE?
Please answer the following questions and send together with your CV, statement and up to three jpeg images of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 13th January at the latest.
• At what stage are you with your practice? For example, just starting out/early career professional/mid-career professional.
• If you have set up a creative business, please tell us more about scale, outlets and when established.
• What is your key concern with your business that you would like to cover in the advice session?
• What would you hope to gain from this hour-long advisory session?
• Have you recently or are you currently accessing training or mentoring to support your creative practice? If yes, please indicate which you have accessed.
Building work is starting at the Crafts Council in October as we are re-developing our old gallery space into a multi-use space to be opened in 2020. In the meantime, London 1:1 advice sessions will be held in a local venue to the Crafts Council. In order to keep our sessions at the same price as when taking place at the Crafts Council we are using public spaces (e.g. quiet café) rather than spaces requiring a hire fee.
Please report to Crafts Council reception 10-min before your session time and Caroline Jackman will meet you there to go to a public space.
Advice surgeries are a part of a series of business development workshops and events designed by the Crafts Council to provide makers with skills to strengthen their business development and promote their work successfully.
For more information about the Crafts Council please visit:
Find out about other ways Talent Development supports makers: