We have summarised some of Camilla Westergaard's key recommendations for e-commerce for your craft business
How to get customers to your online shop
- Search engines (SEO)
- Internal search within a member organization (Crafts Council Directory, Etsy, Folksy)
- Social media (content is key here)
- Referrals – endorsements
- Curated features – showcases with other organisations
- Press – editorial
- Paid search results – can work, but do your research
- Paid social advertising – can work, but do your research
- Magazine adverts – editorial is better; its about having new worthy features
- Platform based adverts (boosted rankings) – member organisations offer this
Using Folksy as a case study, a third of visitors come from social and a third from search engines.
We recommend writing content and listings that search engines will easily find, using SEO principles.