The Golden Fleece Award is the largest prize open to both artists and makers in Ireland.
The Golden Fleece Award normally consists of one or more major Awards, to which may be added smaller Merit or Special Awards. The prize fund fluctuates from year to year but generally amounts to at least €20,000 overall. How the fund is distributed in any given year is at the Trustees' discretion.
In celebration of the Golden Fleece's 20th anniversary and in recognition of the exceptionally difficult circumstances facing creative practitioners at present, the Trustees of the Golden Fleece Award have decided to increase the prize fund for the 2021 Award to €50,000. This will be distributed through five awards of €10,000.
- The Golden Fleece Award is open to craft and visual artists living and working on the island of Ireland as well as Irish-born artists working overseas.
- The Award is open to practising craft and visual artists at any career stage who can demonstrate existing artistic merit and expertise in their chosen field, plus the vision/plans to advance their work to a new level.
- Applications will not normally be considered from students undertaking full-time study.
- The Award is intended for artists working in all forms of visual, craft and applied art. Makers using new technologies to support creative processes and hands-on making are welcome to apply.
- Winners of the main Golden Fleece Award are not eligible to reapply, but winners of Commendation, Merit or Special Awards, and all other previous entrants, are welcome to do so.