National Trust has partnered with the Crafts Council to sponsor the 2019 National Trust Artisan & Craft Retail Open Call.
In addition to developing a range exclusively for the National Trust, the winner of the open call will receive a profile on the Crafts Council Directory for the best UK makers, the opportunity to develop their professional practice at a Crafts Council professional development workshop and a one year subscription to Crafts magazine.
The National Trust is delighted to launch a retail opportunity open call for 2019 in search of talented makers of contemporary craft to develop a product range inspired by the special places in our care.
The product range of the successful maker will be launched on our online shop as part of our Artisan & Craft collection helping us to support British craft and continue to grow the nation's love of special places.
The definition of contemporary craft that we are choosing to use in this instance currently does not include photography, two dimensional fine art, candles, hand-made cosmetic/soaps or mass produced/ manufactured work.
Applications will be shortlisted against the below criteria:
- Commercial potential
What we are looking for:
- A maker with a high level of aesthetic vision and whose work demonstrates excellent craft skills.
- A maker whose work takes / can take inspiration from a National Trust place or properties
- A maker who can supply the National Trust with the selected range of works exclusively for sale with the National Trust from Aug 2020 until approximately May 2021
- The selected maker would need to be able to work to professional specifications regarding packaging and delivery to a retail distribution centre (with guidance from the National Trust retail team).
- The selected maker will be required to participate in promotional activity to promote the relationship; the development of video content, meet the maker events and interviews for example
How to Apply
To apply you need to create a Crafts Council website account and apply through your dashboard.
Deadline for applications: Midnight, 16 September 2019.