Real to Reel: The Craft Film Festival is the first UK festival dedicated to craft and moving image.
Now in its fourth year, the festival continues its mission to highlight the sheer depth and scope of craft from around the globe. We’re inviting submissions for the 2019 edition, which will once again coincide with London Craft Week and screen at partner venue Picturehouse Central, London, in early May, followed by an international tour.
Submissions are now open. All genres are encouraged, from documentaries, to story-led films to animation: if your film explores making, skills and materials, in the broadest sense, our selection panel would like to see it. The Crafts Council is committed to promoting and celebrating diversity. We particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in contemporary craft, including disabled applicants and applicants from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds.
The deadline is 4 February 2019.
Rules and terms
The submission fees for up to three films are:
Early Bird: £10 | 1st Nov – 2nd Dec 2018
Standard: £20 | 3rd Dec – 4th Feb 2019
Discount codes are available for the following applicants:
- 50% discount: for students currently in Higher Education Institutes and Crafts Council Directory Makers.
-£5 flat fee: for young people (under 18yo)
- This year we are limiting submissions to short films - up to 30 minutes in length - only. If you are interested in opportunities for screening feature length films, please contact festival producer Maddie McCann directly.
- Films must have been made after 1st January 2016
- If your film's original language is not English, it will only be accepted if submitted with English subtitles
- Your film must be your own work, and you should have obtained copyright or relevant permissions for all images and films used in your piece
- Filmmakers of productions selected for screening will be notified by Friday 8th March 2019 and will be required to submit a ProRes file on an NTFS-formatted USB or hard drive by Friday 15th March 2019
- In case of selection, the copyright holder automatically authorises The Crafts Council to screen the film during the London festival and for additional screenings in the UK and internationally to take place before May 2020 free of charge and to use publicity material about the author(s) and/or the film, as well as a clip of the production for promotional purposes through press and the internet. The clip may also be included on the Crafts Council website.
- Selected filmmakers will receive one complimentary ticket for one evening of the festival programme at Picturehouse Central in May 2019.
Closing date: Monday, 4 February 2019. If you have any questions about your submission or have a feature length film you would like to tell us about, please contact Maddie on firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
2. You will need to upload your film to a hosting service such as Vimeo, YouTube, Wistia, etc for our selection panel to view the film. If your film is password-protected or not available to the public please share the password or instructions to view the film within the submission form.
3. Once you have submitted your film, a pop up menu will appear asking you to pay the submission fee. You will also receive an email with a link to allow you to pay at a later date. Please note submissions will only be accepted once we have received confirmation of payment. The submission fee will correspond to the rate applicable at the time of payment.