The crafts are an important part of our social and economic life with the Crafts Council Market for Craft report showing craft sales worth £3 billion to the UK economy.
We know the devastating impact COVID-19 has had on a sector dominated by micro enterprises and sole practitioners. And the UK will be leaving the EU on 31 December 2020 which will affect all businesses.
We continue to be in direct and regular contact with relevant government departments and Arts Council England to ensure they are properly briefed on the craft sector situation.
Crafts Council support
We have a number of new online business resources including films on the following topics;
Connect to us on all our social channels, follow our craft opportunities Facebook page and sign up to our regular maker newsletter.
Hosting live events and workshops
As guidelines continue to change and vary depending on your location we have had many enquires about the rules and guidelines about hosting workshops. Here are some good resources;
We also strongly recommend that you have the following in place;
- A risk assessment of your activities and venue; to include access and guidance adhered to government guidelines.
- Have a solid management plan of your event: set up; communication; facilitation and a contingency
- A health and safety plan; ideally a Health and Safety policy, regularly updated to accommodate new Government rules and guidelines
- Check and trace; adhered through GDPR regulations
- Terms & Conditions: refund policy; attendees take responsibility (if they are not feeling well to stay at home).
Brexit will happen on the 31st December 2020 – is your business ready? Government advice is to visit:Gov.uk/transition to find out what is relevant to you and your business.
To help, use the Checker Tool to find relevant information tor you and your business.
Free Webinar for those working in metals and other materials – 11am, Tuesday 20 October
Learn more about trading with the EU from 1 January 2020. Videos are available on:
- Exporting and sending goods outside of the UK
- Importing and bringing goods into the UK
- The customs clearance process
Resources and support