Join us at our monthly get-togethers if you love to make, would like to build your experience or CV, want your voice heard in the arts, or are just keen to find out more. All backgrounds and experience levels are welcome!
In 2019, we wrote a collaborative mission statement which is: 'Young Craft Citizens are a community of creatives, discovering diverse ways of making, exploring sustainable craft and embarking on a powerful journey at the beginning of our careers'.
What we do:
- We run monthly get-togethers both online and in our gallery. We've had workshops, talks and planned activity together.
- Want to run your own event? We pay members of our network to run activities, so far we've had networking sessions to connect creative students in lockdown; art therapy workshops; sustainable stitching workshops and more!
- Co-produce activity in our gallery and with our partners: YCC have designed and run workshops with the Science Museum and the Barbican as well as partnering with makers like Tatty Devine.
- Take part in paid placements with us: pitch a project and we'll pay you to work on it during a 12 day placement - and achieve your Gold Arts Award while you're working!
- We're recruiting soon for our YCC advisory board, a smaller group that works directly with Crafts Council to advise on how the organisation is run, and in return receive leadership and personal development training, as well as the opportunity to become a Crafts Council trustee.
- Our @CraftsYouth Twitter feed is programmed by the group and shares creative jobs and opportunities for young people nationwide
Why get involved?
- Join a new network of young people passionate about craft and making
- Take your Bronze, Silver or Gold arts award with us
- We offer paid and voluntary opportunities via our Lottery-funded placement, social media volunteer and meeting leader roles.
- Be involved in shaping what we do at Crafts Council; work alongside staff and artists to co-produce events for other young people
- Take part in creative workshops and meet and collaborate with professionals working in the craft and creative industries
- Get advice on CVs, job applications and higher education routes to support your path into the craft industry.
- Free pizza (including vegan pizza!)
How to Join
If you are aged 16-30, simply email email@example.com to join the group and we'll let you know when our next meeting is.
Follow us on Twitter @CraftsYouth
Thank you TOAST for donating proceeds from their 2021 events programme to Young Craft Citizens.